Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fish Head Curry Recipe | Easy Asian Cooking

Fish Head Curry

I have been wanting to cook fish head curry for awhile but at the other times I was so engrossed with other activities that I put this on hold.  This was until a whirlwind wet market tour last weekend when I caught a glimpse of the commercially available instant fish head curry paste in local groceries stall. It attracted me in no time, awakened my sudden whim to make fish head curry for brunch and bought it back unhesitatingly, even though this dish is not included in my initial weekly meal planning list.

Fish head curry is a classic Penang-style spicy and tamarind-soured fish head stew with eggplant (a.k.a. brinjal or aubergine), tomatoes, okras (lady fingers) and a handful of bird's eye chillies to add an extra spicy kick. The reddish gravy is thick with chillies, hot enough to make us break out in a sweat. Instead of stirring in coconut milk for final touch, I added in tamarind juice which is sour enough to gear up our stomach juices. As I placed a spoonful of steamed rice caressed by curry, I can feel the twitch of my tongue. Utter bliss! I then soothed my throbbing tongue with another spoonful of white rice to go with stir-fried chicken and beancurd. Then another spoonful of fish head curry again. What a vicious cycle!

Here's the simple how-to-cook recipe for fish head curry. With fish head curry instant pack (which costs me merely RM 3.30 per pack), you don't have to take the trouble into pounding your pestle and mortar or grinding with food processor to transform fresh herbs and spices (chillies, spices, onion, garlic and curry leaves) into curry paste. You can come out with a bowl of piping hot fish head curry in a jiffy!

Ingredients :

1 pre-packed instant Indian seafood curry paste (I used A1 brand)
1 big fish head, cut into big chunks
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
7 okras (lady fingers), cut across into half
1 eggplant (a.k.a brinjal or aubergine), cut into wedges
6 bird's eye chillies, retain whole (you can adjust the amount according to your preference)
2 onions, cut into wedges
Tamarind juice or 120ml coconut milk
400ml water

Ingredients for Fish Head Curry

Method :

1. First, steam sliced okras and eggplant separately for roughly 10 minutes until the textures soften.

2. Pour instant Indian seafood curry paste into a clean wok. Add in onions, bird's eye chillies and tomatoes. Stir-fry using medium heat for one minute. Pour in 400ml water and bring to a boil. Then add in steamed okras and eggplant and slightly stir until all are drenched in the curry.

3. Then add in fish head. When the curry is about cooked, pour in some tamarind juice or coconut milk, serve hot with steamed rice.
(Make sure fish head is added last and not over-cooked, else it'll become mushy with fishy odour)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin